Re: [IPk] Pregnancy and diabetes: Woman's Hour tomorrow morning discusses la...

Melissa- interesting points. Thanks
In her book wiritten in 96  I think, she says she would not start an  already
pregnant women on the pump for various reasons (DKA, infection at site-
presumably worse consequences in pregnancy and the belief that a women who is
already pregnant should be able to take "time out "for  self care-  strict
schedule etc) Its interesting that her beliefs have changed. I assume she  has
 concerns re analogues and pregnancy- and that is why she is using isophane as a
 back up for basal rather than lantus or levemir. Some clinics over here where I
live are using lantus in pregnancy. My consultant said a year ago that  he
would be concerned re glargine and pregnancy but happy to use levemir
REearding the risk of foetal malnutrition - I assume you mean the effects  of
ketosis from a low carb diet on the developping foetus. There is a recent
article called "lets not be ketone cops" You can access it from - is it
 _www.EndocrineNow.com_ (http://www.EndocrineNow.com) or
_www.EndocrineToday.com_
 (http://www.EndocrineToday.com) ? I'm sure you probably know it anyway- you
have
tor egister to access but it's free. Basically  suggests that damage from
 ketosis occurs as a response of poorly controlled D rather than ketosis itself-
although I think the study was done on people with  gestational D and the diet
was not radically low carb