Re: [IPk] Pregnancy and diabetes: Woman's Hour tomorrow morning discusses la...

Hi Abi,

I know a few women who have sought Dr. Jovanovic's advice during their
pregnancies in the past couple of years. These days she advocates testing at
least every other hour while awake (5 times is definitely too few nowadays).
She also advocates a 1 hr postprandial glucose level of no greater than 6.7
mmol/L. Her goal for her pregnant patients' A1Cs is no greater than 5.0. It
is HARD WORK to give carry a baby in practically nondiabetic conditions but
with complete dedication and the technology that we have available today it
is achievable for many people. [I know three women that have done it and one
who is doing it now.] Jovanovic is a huge proponent of insulin pump use
during pregnancy (and any other time, for that matter!) and she has been
involved in a number of recent studies of continuous glucose monitoring. She
has her pregnant patients on pumps (that is, most of her pregnant patients!)
take a small injection of isophane before bed, combined with a
lower-than-usual nighttime basal rate, so that *if* there is a problem with
the pump overnight, the woman's glucose won't go too high before she can
sort it out. Interesting strategy, I think.

Jovanovic does advocate a low-carb diet, but only for the purposes of
minimising glycemic excursions. She does not advocate a diet that would put
the foetus at risk of malnutrition, I think it is key to bear that in mind!!
She sees a lot of Hispanic women with type 2 or gestational diabetes whom
she puts on quiite strict diets because even if their calories are reduced a
lot they will still be eating plenty of food. The type 1s she has to be more
careful with, else there's a risk of foetal malnutrition.

Melissa
Type 1 13 years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 2.5 years