RE: [IPk] DAFNE and fruity free foods...

Hi Seos

I never mind hearing the views of "crusty diabetics" or anyone with diabetes
LOL.  My best friend at school developed diabetes and since then I have always
been very interested in diabetes and the changes in treatment over the years.
She was on one injection a day until she was around 19 years old.  I never saw
her inject and I never saw her have a hypo!

I have to say that Sasha and the rest of the family dont really eat out very
often anymore because Sasha and her twin sister both have coeliac which makes
 this even more difficult. However when we do eat out we guess!!! As there are
only certain things the twins can eat anyway, it narrows the choice down rather
a lot so if we go out for a curry and rice I am pretty good at looking at
portion of rice and guessing.  They cant have Nan Bread or chapattis and only
certain popdums are gluten free.  I am pretty good an eyeing up a baked potato
now!

 It is tiresome burden weight and adding things up but we have found that its
the
only way to get decent control.  If the "eat a healthy diet" method had worked
for us I am sure that we wouldn't have bothered with all the tedious measuring
 etc. Fortunately many products come with the carb amount printed on the packets
for which I am very grateful.

My maths skills which are extremely poor have improved no end.  Though my
husband thinks otherwise!!

In the article   I'm a Cyborg and I Love It by Janet Lafler, she wrote the
following paragraph towards the end of her article and I can completely
empathise with the feeling she expresses.  Whenever Sasha has anything to eat
its never spontaneous and always involves calculations of various sorts.
 Whereas Beckie, Sasha's identical twin sister never has this problem (apart
from
checking the item is gluten free) Sasha has never once said "Its not fair!

Janet Lafler wrote:

"In her popular memoir "Under the Tuscan Sun," Frances Mayes, wrote of the
"relaxation and freedom" of long, leisurely meals at a table outside under the
trees. My reaction when I read this a few years ago was anger. Not anger at
Mayes (well, maybe a little resentment), but anger at my own situation, at the
knowledge that eating, for me, would never again be an experience of freedom,
relaxation, ease. Enjoyment, yes, but a formal enjoyment. A highly structured
ritual enjoyment.
The insulin pump hasn't given me a place at that table under the trees. For one
thing, I doubt that the beeping noises and uncouth technology would be
welcome -- they might spoil the romantic illusion of a bucolic life. But it
 gives me back a little of that feeling of ease and relaxation. Being a cyborg
is
making me more human."

Kind Regards
Jackie Jacombs mum of Sasha aged 12, diagnosed 1999, twin sister Rebecca both
coeliac, two older girls, Nicki and Danni, husband Terry

> Jackie
>
> I have no idea what it must be like bringing up a child with diabetes.
> Having had it for 30+ years at this stage I am only now beginning to get my
> head around mine.
>
> Well done that you are doing all that you are doing for Sasha. If DAFNE's
> helped you with this, then DAFNE's worked for Sasha.
>
> Don't mind these rants from a crusty diabetic who dislikes the idea of
> producing weighing scales in public, but has been struggling with it as an
> attractive thought since starting pump. Invisible weighing scales would be
> just perfect. See-through pump - even better!
>
> Someone mentioned recently in another thread about putting away her pump for
> a day. I had visions of her burying in the sock drawer (or did she say
> this?). I can kind of relate to this. I really don't want to have to think
> about my diabetes constantly. And carb counting triggers some of this
> resentment.
>
> That said, I'm still well pleased with my new life on pump.
>
> Keep on trucking!
>
> Seos
>

> >From: "Jackie Jacombs" <email @ redacted>
> >To: <email @ redacted>
> >Subject: RE: [IPk] DAFNE and fruity free foods...
> >Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 15:23:19 +0100
> >
> >Hi Seos, Kat, et al
> >

> >I do not think that DAFNE, when it was introduced a few years ago was
> >intended
> >  to "loosen people up" from the obsessive weighing everything. It was
> >introduced
> >because most people who were diagnosed in the last 10 years or so were
> >given no
> >  guidance on carb counting whatsoever let alone adjusting insulin doses.
> >People
> >diagnosed before this time were taught carb portion counting or carb
> >counting.
> >Indeed many were amazed that DAFNE was being  introduced as something brand
> >new
> >and innovative, when they had been doing this all along for years.  For
> >some
> >unknown reason,  carb portion estimation was stopped and its still not
> >taught,
> >nor is carb counting in the majority of clinics.  When Sasha was diagnosed
> >7

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0625-7, 23/06/2006
Tested on: 25/06/2006 23:17:01