Re: [IPk] DAFNE and fruity free foods...

Hi Jan,

I wonder what other resources are available?  It has been years since I
read 'Stop the Roller-coaster' - and I can't remember if this assumed
basic carb counting knowledge, or not (this is what comes of borrowing
books from libraries rather than buying one's own!)  How much do you
already do - carb assessment?  adjustment of insulin for food, sickness,
etc.?

Do you have any particular issues/concerns that you hope DAFNE will help
with.

Part of the problem in giving you an answer is medical supervision: a
lot of us were taught carbohydrate assessment (along the line of 'for
dinner, you must eat 75g CHO, and here is how to make sure you do
this'), but then discovered for ourselves how to adjust the insulin so
if we wanted 50g CHO, or 100g CHO), we could manage just fine.  I can't
possibly suggest that you try experimenting (I don't have the
insurance!!!)

Of course, the people who _should_ be supervising you may be just
copping out - which may suggest a change in supervision is needed!

You say you 'live in hope' - can I encourage you to ask the awful
questions: What are you hoping for? What is the chance that it will
happen?  and (the really awful one) what are you doing to nudge the odds
that it will happen in your favour?

(Writing to IP-UK is a big nudge in your favour!)

I was a wanabe pumper for a number of years, and the best thing I can
say to you is what others said to me:  keep your hope, you are 100%
right to hope what you do, and you are right to fight to achieve what
you hope for.  I will add: fighting is not easy when one is sick and
weary, or worried about the health of someone we love.  _Every_ step you
take to fight is, therefore, extraordinary and 'beyond the call of
duty'.

Best wishes,

Pat

--