Re: [IPk] DAFNE and fruity free foods...

In message <email @ redacted>, Seos Ni
Niallain <email @ redacted> writes
>Female and proud of it.

I'm female too.

I agree with you that DAFNE isn't a satisfactory alternative to pumping,
for many people!

I think, given that a couple of people seem to have been told that
"DAFNE is new thinking, it's not like that obsessive carb counting that
people used to do", I can spot some mind-games at work.

I would like to suggest that the people placing DAFNE in opposition to
'obsessive carb counting' are coming up with an excuse for their past
behaviour.  Carb counting used to be thought OK - even encouraged - for
many patients.  Then it wasn't.  Now it's back.  Now, they can't say
'oops, sorry all you people who now have complications as a result of
our lousy decision that carb counting was bad', so they have to maintain
that carb counting _is still bad_ while at the same time saying carb
counting _is good_.

They could do this by saying 'in the past, carb counting was obsessive,
so it was bad, and therefore we were right to tell you not to do it;
now, however, we have DAFNE, which is a non-obssessive carb counting,
and therefore good, so we are now right to tell you to do it'.

This is fine (if you believe lying to people is fine), so long as the
people you have lied to (DAFNE trainees) do not meet people who counted
carbs for many years.  Then the truth (that the old timers were/are not
'obsessive' causes a problem: either it is true that old-style carb
counting was 'obsessive' (and therefore the old timers like me are
attacking DAFNE without understanding how different and non-obsessive it
is), or it is not true that old-style carb counting was 'obsessive', and
they have to doubt their trainers.

Given the improvements they will (almost certainly) have seen in
switching to carb counting, it is very difficult to believe that the
trainers have lied to you about what went on in the past.... yet unless
you do that, you can't accept that the old-timers are telling the truth.

And of course, doubt and uncertainty among the two populations of
diabetics is either the desired outcome, or an unfortunate side-effect,
but neither as bad as the truth coming out: the medical profession made
a big mistake in ditching carb counting, and should apologise and get
over it.

Just a thought!

Cheers,

Pat