"Im a cyborg and I love it" Pumps and gadgets WAS RE: [IPk] Pump +

The real geekiness of me is showing ...

There is a real difference between cybernetics and prothesis. The human-
machine relationship in the former enhances the human (e.g. gets you to
run faster, see further, hear at lower frequencies, or gives you a
really funky skin colouration that goes down well in discos). The latter
(merely) brings the (damaged/broken/imperfect) human back up to
'normal'.

With machine legs, it's easier to see the difference: cyborg legs, you
could run a 2 minute mile.  Prosthetic legs, you could walk a mile,
climb steps, drive a non-adapted car, etc.

So what I have is not cybernetics, but a prosthetic device: it just
allows me to do what the 'unbroken' human can do - eat stuff and not get
ketones.

I have tried to think what a cyborg would have in place of a pancreas.
>From my 'broken' state, one that can do what my husband's does seems
pretty perfect to me!

On the concept of diabetic as 'broken': return to the legs ... there are
those who argue that the human without legs is not 'broken', and does
not need protheses: what they need is a world in which not having legs
has no implications for access to education, leisure, work, or exercise
opportunities, etc..

Best wishes,

Pat
(still miffed that she dithered, and therefore could not buy
www.7of9.com)
--
Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted