Re: [IPk] DAFNE and fruity free foods...

Hi Kath,

I think I can see where Pat was coming from and where you are coming from. I
don't think you're arguing like children, though.

Pat is not attacking DAFNE. The point that Pat is making has to do with the
reason why DAFNE is called DAFNE. It stands for 'dose adjustment for normal
eating.' Dose adjustment is the most important thing that DAFNE is supposed
to teach you. So if DAFNE were teaching instead that all people should
always take the same amount of insulin for the same foods, that would go
against all of its supposed principles!

If you learned from doing DAFNE that you, personally, should take 1 unit of
Humalog per 15 g. carbs, and your favourite ice cream just happens to have
30 g. carbs per serving, then indeed, you probably need 2 units of Humalog
for ice cream. Pat is making the same point that you are, which is that she
(Pat) might need 1 unit of Humalog for 10 g carbs and thus 3 u. Humalog for
the same portion of ice cream, while you would go hypo if you took that much
insulin for the same portion. I think Pat thought that you meant the DAFNE
instructor had written on the board in the classroom: "everyone needs 2
units of Humalog for ice cream" rather than you (Kath) had learned from
DAFNE that you personally need 2 units of Humalog for ice cream.

Does this make sense? I am sure that the DAFNE instructor did not announce
'all diabetics everywhere around the world always need 2 units of Humalog
for ice cream' but that is one way that what you initially wrote could be
interpreted. Sometimes we lose context and nuances in written communication.

Melissa
Type 1 13 years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 2.5 years