Re: [IPk] DAFNE and fruity free foods...

In message <000101c696a4$5d49abf0$email @ redacted>, Elizabeth
O'Shea <email @ redacted> writes
>I agree with Janice that DAFNE is great because of the freedom you get, but
>I'm very concerned that they might be dumbing things down, probably because
>they think it makes it easier.

I think there may be a need for "DAFNE-lite", which suits the needs of
some patients (although basic numeracy courses might have a better
effect).

After a bit of "DAFNE-lite", people might graduate to full DAFNE.

I am a grumpy old employer who is truly shocked at the low numeracy
levels in this country.  I left school worried because I never did get
my head around trig.... but I have lost count of the times I have had to
explain how to calculate ex-VAT prices, or explain the use of brackets
in spreadsheet formulae (this to graduates!)

No wonder they think that diabetics are going to find it difficult to
buy a 400g bag of cherries with 16g CHO per 100g on the label, and work
out how much insulin to inject if they need 1 unit per 12g and want to
eat about a third of the bag!

Best wishes to all,

Pat
--