Re: [IPk] Hypo control

Hi  Diana

What you say is exactly what I said to the DSN - it is just as if there is a
pool of insulin which works in the night.  Up to Christmas everything was
OK.  After that I was worried with sight problems and this seemed to affect
control and it got very difficult.  I was very depressed and felt I couldn't
cope properly.  My requirements seemed to go up and up.  I then tried
changing the site from tummy to legs thinking absorption was the problem and
the site change made more variables but seemed to settle down until 3 weeks
ago when the problems were at about 2.00 am.  This 5.00 am trick was a new
one for me.

I am beginning to think it is not the basals at all but the bolus after all.
As I have gastro paresis I do not put the insulin in too quickly or I might
go hypo in the meal.  If I don't inject sufficient I do not come down a
couple of hours after the injection.  How low do you go 2 hours after a
meal?  I think you are correct about cutting the bolus for my evening meal
and this will mean putting up with a higher bg for a while so there is
something for the insulin to work on.  It sounds simple.  Got to do
something.  I was sitting here long the computer last night and felt
perfectly OK.  I didn't want to face bed.  I made a move at 2.00 am and did
a test.  It was 1.9!  I felt OK!  Still, once corrected I got through the
rest of the night and had perfect control this morning again.

I'm afraid I do very much less exercise than you due to pain and
breathlessness.  Trouble is, according to the chart showing ages of pumpers,
I must be one of the oldest.

Thanks for listening.

June