Re: [IPk] just getting started

hi Deena
You'll probably find each sport has totally different requirements so I
wouldn't wait till one is sorted before sorting the other one!
I went back to sport the day I got my pump - it was a bit of trial and
error but I soon figured it out. Why not just start with keeping your
basal the same and eating carb beforehand as you would have done on MDI?
Then gradually experiment (if you wish) with reducing the carb and
decreasing the basal beforehand (and possibly afterwards).
As long as your BG isn't wildly high or low then you shouldn't have a
problem exercising as long as you follow the basic rules. Remember that
if you bolus to correct a high before exercise, your BG can sink like a
stone as insulin immediately before exercising will be absorbed very
quickly (at least that's the case for me). Even if my BG is 17 I can
still play softball, I just take a small bolus and let the combination
of exercise and insulin bring me down. Don't exercise at 17 without
bolusing a small amount though, or you'll most likely go higher.
Test lots and have plenty of glucose with you and you should be fine to
experiment as much as you want. Keeping a detailed log will help (if you
can be bothered, I never can!)
Good luck
Di