RE: [IPk] RE: DAFNE courses in the UK: free foods?

Hi Liz

 We would definitely have to bolus for cherries and strawberries etc. If we dont
we see the BG level rise.

Like you, we only count protein as "free food" and even then if its over a
certain amount of protein or fat we have to adjust the basal or bolus extra in
about 6-7 hours time as Sasha's BG level would go up.

Jackie

> --
>
> When Ellie wanted cherries for her snack at school I weighed them first: 50g
> in the little tub so we counted them as 6g carb and bolused accordingly. The
> only free foods for us are pure protein.
>
> Liz mum to Ellie 11 dx 11/02 pumping novorapid with 512 and 6mm Quicksets
> since 10/04
> and to Hannah 9 and George 5
>

> > Could it be that as there is only approx 15g of carbs per 100g that an
> > "average size portion" would weigh a lot less than 100g so it's not worth
> > counting the carbs??
> >
> > Also, I thought fructose was a medium fast acting sugar. It's just that as
> > it is three times sweeter than sucrose you use less and so the resulting
> > food sweetened with it will have a lower carb value.
> >
> > I did DAFNE about three years ago and can't specifically remember what was
> > said about cherries but I don't count them.
> >
> > Janice x
> > .
> .

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0625-5, 21/06/2006
Tested on: 22/06/2006 00:28:18