RE: [IPk] Re - Pump

Hi Steve

I agree that most GP's and the practice nurse know very little about the on
going management of type 1 diabetes.   Most GP do not have the time to spend
 with patients either even if they wanted to. Not long ago our diabetes clinic
sent out a patient form asking if parents would prefer to take their child to
see their local GP.  We were all incredulous that anyone would suggest such a
stupid thing.  When we take Sasha to the GP for earaches infections and the
like, you can see the worried look on their face when they realise that she has
diabetes and is using a pump.  It wasn't much better before when she was on
injections.  Our own very nice GP also explained when Sasha was diagnosed that
the main care would be done through the hospital as they had the training
 knowledge and staff. It would just be terrible if the GP's had to take over the
care for people with type 1.  Not even sure that they should be looking after
some of the people with type 2 either.

As for the practice nurses.  I went to a local DUK group meeting and was
horrified at what two practice nurses were saying and the misconceptions they
had about carbs and diabetes in general.

Jackie

> I hope I'm not offending anyone here by agreeing that I think it's crazy
> that a GP and practice nurse could take care of a diabetic clinic. My GP is
> worse than useless and the practise nurse although a lovely little old lady,
> seems to know fuck all about diabetes.
>
> On 6/21/06, Angela Tyson-Davies <email @ redacted> wrote:

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0625-5, 21/06/2006
Tested on: 22/06/2006 00:05:47