RE: [IPk] Animas Pump

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your input. The problem that June faces is likely not as simply
solved, sadly. Pump companies and healthcare professionals and PCTs are all
interested in expanding pump therapy to more patients, but the bottom line
may come into play more often than the letter of the guidance. Bang for the
buck (as it were) is key. If a PCT can buy 3 different pumps from 3
companies for the same price as 5 pumps all from the same manufacturer,
which option do you think they want to choose? Which option do you think the
average taxpayer would support? Pump users know that you can't put a price
on improved quality of life but PCT beancounters live by QALYs. Taxpayers
think their money is squandered when pricing structures appear so
inefficient.

As I see it, patient choice in pump therapy in the UK is undermined by the
following factors: mainly PCT contracts with companies that mean ONLY one
company's pump is offered because of a tender ("You can have any pump you
like so long as it's a ...."); DSNs' personal preferences, which may be
dicated by familiarity with button-pressing sequences over than any other
factor ("I don't have time to learn how all the pumps work, this one is easy
to teach, why bother looking at the others?"); and ignorance of the
importance of patient choice in the selection of a pump ("What does it
matter, aren't they all basically the same anyway?").

Melissa
Type 1 13 years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 2 years 6 months