[IPk] Animas Pump

> Cozmo and Animas pumps definitely offer adjustable duration of insulin on
> board and you can get Animas in the UK. If your consultant is willing to
> write, "It is important that June have an insulin pump which permits her
> to adjust the duration of insulin action within the insulin-on-board
> calculation feature. This means that she should have a _____ brand, _____
> model insulin pump. A pump that does not allow her to adjust the duration
> of insulin action within the insulin-on-board feature (that is, a
> Medtronic MiniMed Paradigm 512) will not meet her needs," you should have
> some bargaining power - but do ring John Davis about this matter. He will
> have more insight than I do!
>

> Melissa
> Type 1 13 years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 2 years 6 months;

> glad I never had to argue about the model of pump I got and sorry that
> others have had to :|

Just a point ref the part above about funding... The consultant does not
need to detail that a specific brand is required nor that specific IOB
features etc are required, the NICE directive available from John Davis or
from the Government Health Board states that funding should be made
available once a particular patient meets the criteria set out by NICE,
sadly the various PCT's, Trusts, Consultants and diabetic teams and DSN's
have taken it upon themselves to interpret the directive in their own way
and often to some extreme variances! Funding is funding no matter what pump
you the patient chooses, there seems to be an awful lot of pressure from
PCTs et al to push patients genrally toward Medtronic or alternatively
Roche, having met all the companies in the UK and discussed at length the
pros and cons of their pumps and having trialled Medtronic (to
dissatisfaction particularly on customer service) I have to say that
Advanced Therapeutics (Animas) gets highly commended for their customer
service and for their pump, Roche come in next for their customer service (I
am sure the Spirit is fine but seems lacking in the advanced/nice to have
features) and Medtronic last and bottom on customer service though the pump
has good features etc, Cozmo would have been up there but they/Smiths
Medical seem not at all committed to the UK - heaven knows why!!

I just wish someone would go very public on the PCT reaction/interpretation
to the NICE directive and perhaps explain in detail the simple terms of the
directive, perhaps also the pump manufacturers should remember that whilst
they are sales led organisations, patient need/choice is important and
perhaps the amount of influence on the PCTs etc that these companies have
should be blocked leaving patients to take the choice - sales people could
sell to the end user rather than the Trusts.

Sorry for the rant!!

Simon
Hope to be a pumper one day!