Re: Paradigm 515 WAS RE: Hypos RE: [IPk] Paradigm 512

Hi again June,

Seeing you use the word 'algorithm' here has made me think of someting else.
The Animas IR1200 IOB (Insulin On Board) is calculated linearly, by which I
mean it reduces at the same rate throughout the entire duration of action.
So five minutes after delivering a bolus, the IOB will show as having
reduced, when in reality the insulin won't actually have kicked in yet.
However, I don't tend to find it a problem as long as I remember what the
IOB number that the pump gives me means for me.

When I first got my Animas I played around with different settings for
duration of action of Humalog. I tried 2.5 hours, 3 hours and 3.5 hours
before settling on three. I then experimented quite a bit with using the IOB
information at different times after meals, which is how I came up with the
90 minute strategy I explained in my last email. If I test prior to the 90
minutes, I find the IOB to be somewhat underestimated, so I try to keep this
mind if I want to use the IOB number at this stage.

Playing around with how it works for you is somewhat trial and error, much
like setting up basals when you first start pumping, and figuring out carb
and correction ratios. I decided on the duration that was right for me by
testing my blood sugar every hour after eating. When I used 3 hours as the
duartion my blood suagrs became steady at the same time that the pump told
me I had zero IOB. When I used a shorter duration, my blood sugar tended to
continue to fall after the pump told me IOB was zero. (Your basals obviously
need to be correct to do this accurately.) You will also get a feel over
time if the information the pump gives you is working correctly. If, for
example, you always end up too high after reducing a correction bolus based
on the IOB information, it is probably overestimating IOB and the duration
may be set too long. If you finish up too low, the reverse may be true.

Unfortunately, all the while you must keep in mind what I said at the
beginning. So I guess what I'm saying is  that the IOB doesn't take all of
the brain work out of it, but the pump is at least consistent with its
calculations and something concrete to base your management decisions on.

Caroline