RE: [IPk] Animas pump

Hi June,

I've been using the IR1200 for just over a year and can honestly say it that
it transformed good pump control into truly excellent control. Although this
was in part due to the fact that I had some serious problems with the old
pump, I put it mainly down to the features of the IR1200.

The Insulin-On-Board works extremely well for me. I tend to check my blood
sugar at around 90 minutes after eating and I am then able to reliably take
an extra bolus if needed or, perhaps more importantly, reduce my basal rate
to avoid an impending hypo if it looks like I have over done it. I'm also
able to factor any remaining IOB in when treating a low, as obviously I need
more carbs if insulin is still active, or if I increase my physical activity
and want to avoid a low. The bolus wizard, both for carbs (CarbSmart) and
corrections (ezBG) also highlighted how bad my maths skills had become,
which helped me instantly tighten up control. Bear in mind both of these
features are available on the Cozmo too.

The other things which made a difference to me are the small basal increment
you have mentioned, which makes very fine tuning possible, and also the fact
that the Animas pump delivers basal insulin every three minutes regardless
of the basal rate. Medtronic pumps on the other hand chop up the basal dose
in to 0.1 or 0.05 unit increments - so you may get just one increment an
hour. Many people dispute that there is a difference but having experienced
both and seen the effect on my control, I persoanlly feel it makes a big
difference. I know of one or two others here who agree.

The screen on the IR1200 is indeed very large. I sometimes find it hard to
see without the backlight on, but since this can easily be switched on or
off at any stage during programming, unlike with the Medtronic pumps, this
isn't a great problem. With the backlight on, it is very clear.

And as others have said, the customer service is excellent.

Drawbacks? The clip is the biggest one. It doesn't (yet) have an integral
clip like the 508 or Paradigm series. It comes with a plastic holster -
which is rather bulky - and a leather case with a clip attached - which is
fine if you don't mind leather cases. Overall the pump is very thin, so fits
well into pockets, bras etc.I think the lack of escape key is only irksome
if you've ever used a pump that has one.

Overall I can't reccommend the IR1200 highly enough. However pump choice is
really down to personal preference so your best bet would be to contact
Advanced Therapeutics and arrange a trial to see how it works for you.

Hope that helps,

Caroline
Type 1 23+ Pumper 4+