RE: [IPk] Humalog

Tim,

I will send you off-list a PDF of a journal article that shows LOWER
mitogenic potency among rapid-acting insulin analogues vs. regular 'human'
rDNA insulin (Actrapid, Humulin R). Mitogenic potency is the fancy term for
'if you put this stuff in a Petri dish with cells, what's the chance they'll
grow fast?' Uncontrolled cell growth is, of course, the origin of a tumour.

I am confident using Humalog in my pump, knowing that the mitogenic potency
is much lower than that of Human R. However, there is NO DIRECT EVIDENCE
(want to be clear!!!) that ANY insulin currently marketed causes tumours in
humans. The very first insulin analogue product developed by Novo Nordisk
did cause tumours in animal studies and it was thus very swiftly abandoned
and has never been sold. Its mitogenic potency was more than 10 times
greater than human R.

The mitogenic potency of Lantus (insulin glargine) is nearly 8 times greater
than the mitogenic potency of human R, though, and this has raised some
eyebrows in the scientific community. We know that Lantus doesn't cause
tumours in animals over their few-year lifespan (valuable information) but
we don't know yet what happens in humans over a 20-odd-year span. The
benefits of Lantus in terms of clinical data with regard to diabetes control
outweighed the risks of "the unknown" in the regulatory bodies' evaluations.
If we want drugs that may give us a better quality of life *now*, we can't
hold them in clinical trials for 25 years...life is full of risk/benefit
equations, isn't it?

Melissa
Type 1 13 years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 2.5 years; nary a
molecule of intermediate- or long-acting insulin in 10 years!!