RE: [IPk] Vitiligo

Mel, Paul

My husbands father had vitiligo ( he was not diabetic) but didnt develop
vitiligo until he was in his late 70's.  It effected his head and face.  Mostly
the top of his head.  As he worked outdoors as a builder we always thought that
it was sunburn effecting his skin but over the years it became apparent it was
vitiligo.  There are several children/adults on the USA CWD support list who
have both vitiligo and type 1 diabetes.

So because Sasha has diabetes and coeliac is she probably at higher risk of
 other autoimmune condidtions like vitiligo. I have met several people with this
skin condition over the years but none had diabetes as well.

See

Polyglandular Autoimmune Syndrome, Type II
http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic1868.htm

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/328/7442/750

Jackie

> Not sure if this helps at all but my father has vitiligo on both arms,
> although he is aparently not diabetic - I have my doubts here I see too many
> familiar symptoms, I say this as somebody with DM for 29 years.
>
> You may know that vitiligo often affects the area that a particular nerve
> serves (a dermatome), and if you look on the internet for dermatome patterns
> it may be that your vitiligo follows one, or more, of these patterns.  In my
> father's case he is affected by the C7 dermatome e.g. the nerve that leaves
> the spinal cord at the 7th cervical (neck) vertebra.
>
> Regards
>
> Paul
>
> On 18/06/06, email @ redacted <email @ redacted> wrote:
> >

> > Does anyone else have vitiligo at all? I couldn't find it on any searches
> > of
> > the site, which suprised me a little, as it is supposed to be quite common
> > in
> > diabetics. I've never actually seen anyone else with it, but then again,
> > what
> > with our lovely English weather perhaps its not too evident! Mel, T1
> > 21yrs,
> > pumper about 3(ish) :)
> > .
> .

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0625-0, 19/06/2006
Tested on: 19/06/2006 12:38:10