[IPk] Thyroid and weight

Hi,
 Would anybody know the following: I have gained over 1 stone in weight, and
continue to do so, yet I am hardly eating. I am so cold my hubby has nicknamed
me 'reptile woman'. I had a raised test for thyroid antibodies 5 years ago,
despite this my last TH level was 10, and my TSH was 2.5. Last year whilst under
severe stress I went to my doctors and had some blood tests for various
different things, my GP rang me up and explained that my thyroid would at some
point indeed fail, as my TSH was 9.37 but my t4 was 12. I pointed this out at my
annual review and they said they would keep an eye on it. But my weight is
really getting me down. Would I not be eligible for a small dose of thyroxine?
also, how quickly can it fail, like should I ask for another test in 6 months,
rather than wait for the 12 month annual review again? Or could it just be that
I was so stressed it had an effect on my thyroid?? Does anybody know or have any
ideas?
Mel :)