Re: [IPk] ketones with normal blood sugar

Hi Sara,

 The bent cannula could result in high sugars and some ketones as you
experienced. It is possible for Ds and non-Ds to have small or trace ketones
from fasting, dieting, not eating enough carb, and from illness.

 I have posted recently about my horrific hospital experience with massively
high ketones, symptoms of ketoacidosis (weight loss of 5kg overnight, heavy
breathing, nausea, weakness, sore chest and stomach, peeing and drinking
non-stop), and sugars between 4-8mM the whole day (and eating plenty
carbohydrate).

 The Endo explained that Ds can get high ketones even with normal sugars, and if
the ketones are moderate or higher, you should present to hospital. You can get
the situation just before developing an illness for example. I got mine 12 hours
before a bout of gastroenteritis.

 Don't worry about your small ketones unless the sugars rise too, or if the
ketones go higher, or you start to feel unwell. There is no mistaking that DKA
feeling.

HOpe this has been of help to you.

Cat.

I'm