RE: [IPk] Hypo's

Hi Julian,

Only two downsides I can think of to your approach:
1) A lot of extra calories - but if you aren't concerned about your weight,
that's not a big deal
2) The going down and going up again and going down again: it has been shown
in cell culture studies that glycemic variability affects cells' lifespan
and health. If you can go from 3 to 6 mmol/L on treating a hypo rather than
3 to 12 to 6 mmol/L, you are minimising your glycemic variability and every
little helps. More cells die in a sample that is exposed to ups and downs of
glucose than die in a sample that maintains a constant high glucose level.
:( [Of course the fewest cells die in a sample that maintains a 'normal'
glucose concentration.]

I keep some juice that I really don't like on-hand for hypos. I pour myself
a small wineglass of it (the sugar content is very high - like 38 g. per 250
ml) and make myself down it, then I drink a glass of water to get the taste
out of my mouth. I go up to 6 or 7 mmol/L quickly because the juice does not
need time to be digested and my stomach doesn't get full so I can enjoy my
next regular meal. I really resent being diabetic when the only thing I have
on-hand to treat a hypo is food that will spoil my next meal. At work I keep
juice boxes with 15 g carbs each in my cabinet. I love them because I don't
have to think about what I am putting in my mouth - one juice box does the
trick.

If your approach works well for you and you aren't bothered about the
calories or the glycemic variability, though, do what works!

Melissa
Type 1 13 years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 2.5 years