RE: Hypos RE: [IPk] Paradigm 512

Hi Seos

 Maybe I didn't explain very well about the difference between a correction
bolus
and using the Square wave or duel wave functions.

The Square wave and duel wave functions are not really anything to do with
correcting a high blood glucose reading, but to do with bolusing for food that
may take much longer to have an effect on the blood sugar levels.  Food like
pizza or curry and rice or some pasta meals.  In many people, if they bolus the
full number of units calculated for the carbs in that meal they often go hypo
and then high again later.  This may be due to the fat slowing down the
absorption of the carbs.   However Sasha rarely goes low just after a meal but
 does need a higher basal to cope with a rise around 6 hours later due to the
fat
or protein.

We have tried using the Square wave and Dual bolus feature for various meals,
but it didn't work out very well for Sasha.  Most meals, whether they contain
fat or protein, seem to need the whole of the insulin amount immediately and we
only see a rise from the fat and or protein after 6 to 8 hours later with the
 blood sugars in between being at normal levels. So using a fancy bolus wouldn't
 help Sasha at all. For curry and rice, which always sends the BG levels up high
later, we put on a temporary basal rate at around 6 hours after the meal, to
last  for around 3 -4 hours.  We just increase the basal to show 140%.

If we are correcting a high BG level then we tend to use the chart on the
Diabetes Mall for working out what insulin is still "acting" after the last
correction or bolus.  Though John Walsh, one of the writers on Diabetes
mall/IPumping Insulin books, previous had a different table which showed the
duration of insulin action to finish at around 4 hours and had almost finished
 by 3 hours duration. He has since amended his "Unused Insulin Rule but we still
find the original table works best for us.   His new table is on the diabetes
mall here.  I printed it off and laminated it so I have it in the middle of the
night as a reference.

Bolus on Board
  http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_control_tips/bolus_on_board.php?PHPSESSID=
7ce42496460a

Try this link if url wraps  http://tinyurl.com/q8kbx

Jackie

> ----
>

> Thanks Jackie.
>
> That's very interesting. I have found that the Bolus Wizard is completely
> pointless when it comes to very high readings over a sustained period. I was
> not aware of the fact that it calculates insulin duration for 8 hour period
> only. That's quite a limitation.
>
> This accounts for some recent high readings where I couldnt figure out why
> the BW advised insulin already on board. I had started overriding this but
> was unaware of the rationale behind the BW calculation.
>
> Am I right in understanding that when Sasha has a high reading you
> administer the correction bolus spread over a 3-4 hour period using the
> Square Set function - or do you simply administer CBs manually every hour?
>
> Thanks very much for this info - something I was completely unaware of, let
> alone the acronyms!
>
> Best
>
> Seos
>

> >From: "Jackie Jacombs" <email @ redacted>
> >To: <email @ redacted>
> >Subject: RE: Hypos RE: [IPk] Paradigm 512
> >Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 18:41:34 +0100
> >
> >Seos
> >

> >  IOB is short for" Insulin On Board". This is referring to the fact that
> >on some
> >pumps they have a system, which on the Medtronic pumps is called "The Bolus
> >Wizard, which can help you calculate what bolus to give based on the
> >insulin
> >that is already "active" from the last bolus.     Basically you key in
> >certain
> >figures, what your target blood glucose levels are, your correction factor
> >etc.
> >Then if you have a high blood sugar level which you want to correct or want
> >bolus for a meal, you key in the info into your pump and the bolus wizard
> >will
> >take into account the "active insulin" that is still working from a
> >previous
> >bolus.  This is a simplified example of what the bolus wizard is used for.
> >On
> >the 512/712 you cannot adjust the duration of insulin action which is
> >"factory
> >set" to 8 hours duration.  This means that if you have recently bolused to
> >  correct a high BG levels and it is still high 2-3 hours later the pump is
> >likely
> >to "tell" you than a further correction is not needed because it "assumes"
> >that
> >the insulin action from the previous correct/bolus is still working.
> >Medtronic
> >have newer models available in the US that have an adjustable "duration of
> >Insulin action.  Most people, adults and children that I have come across,
> >have
> >their "duration of insulin action" set to between 3.0 hrs to 4.5  hours,
> >the
> [...]

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0624-2, 15/06/2006
Tested on: 17/06/2006 21:57:09