RE: [IPk] coeliac

Hi Gemma

congratulations on the pregnancy.  Lets hope its only one baby and not twins!!!
Only joking.  When I was pregnant with my twins my GP was looking after me in
the early weeks and said that he was pretty sure that it wasn't twins, as I
 wasn't big enough and that he had twins, (a boy and girl) and wouldn't wish
them
on anyone!  I am sure he didn't mean it. LOL  I had awful morning sickness
(morning, noon and night)!  through all my pregnancies, so I hope that you dont
feel too sick.

 Sasha wasn't on a pump when she was diagnosed with coeliac but we were having
give the insulin 30 minutes after she had eaten. even high GI food .  That
indicates how much of an absorption problem there was.  We were also only using
Actrapid or mixtards which really need injecting 30 minutes before eating.  Had
 she been on a pump I guess we would have just kept decreasing the basal rate
and
not realising what was going on.  After beginning the coeliac diet she started
to need the insulin adjusting within a couple of weeks and by the end of 4 to 6
weeks we moved on to Direct acting insulin Novorapid and injected that with
meals.  These days we try to give the breakfast Novorapid about 10 minutes
before she eats.  The other meals she has the insulin with the meals, unless we
have tested 10 minutes before the meal and been able to give the insulin early
if she is high.  I reckon by about 2 -3 months the absorption was probably near
to normal again.  However sometimes adults can take longer to heal.
Its fortunate that you found out about the coeliac now as I am sure that your
baby may not have received the nourishment needed, or that what usually happens
is the "pregnancy" takes all its needs from your body  possibly leaving you
without certain vitamins and minerals.

Let us know how thing progress.

Kind Regards

Jackie Jacombs mum of Sasha aged 12, diagnosed 1999, twin sister Rebecca both
coeliac, two older girls, Nicki and Danni, husband Terry

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0624-2, 15/06/2006
Tested on: 16/06/2006 22:00:58