[IPk] Change of insulin

Hi guys -

Well, I'm back in the land of the living :-) My wife went to Brazil for
2-and-a-half weeks as soprano soloist with a German choir. 3 Verdi
Requiems and 4 opera gala concerts. Much fun had by all. When she was
away, I went to Bristol with our 2 boys to visit my parents. While there
we took a sunny family holiday near Ilfracombe. Lots of sun, sea and sand
etc

Big excitement for me was a fund-raising parents' evening at the local
primary school - where I went 35 years ago! - and where my younger sister
has 2 boys. Steven Box has a child at the school. He is the no. 2 in the
Wallace and Gromit team. He was interviewed for us all. He brought with
him his Oscar and his Bafta mask. So I have now clutched a real Oscar :-)
All I can say is that they are extremely heavy!

I've not yet settled in fully to the pork insulin, but I'm making
progress. Going on holiday for 2 weeks didn't help. I have just tweaked my
morning basal so that I get an effective "bolus" of 5 units between 5am
and 6am. I always get up at 7am and have my breakfast. Given the slow
on-set of pork insulin, this seems to stop the enormous rise I get in BG
mid-morning. Fingers crossed. Does this sound sensible?

Oh, and I managed to *almost* run out of pork insulin today - which was
extremely stupid of me! I had drawn 2 bottles from the chemist last month,
and while in England I realised I only just had enough to see me back to
Germany. Went to doctor on Monday for prescription. Chemist announced that
as my pork insulin is being specially imported from Switzerland, it would
take "several days" to arrive. Yikes. Looked like I would have to fall
back on the left-over bottle of Humalog I still have in the fridge. But
thankfully the insulin arrived last night, and I was able to collect it
this morning with a millimetre of insulin left in my pump. Life eh?

John
--
mailto:email @ redacted
http://www.webshowcase.net/johnneale