Re: [IPk] Re - Weight Gain

Hi Julie,

What kind of exercise are you doing? I mean, what activities, at what
intensity, for how long, and how many times per week? The general
recommendation if you want to lose weight is something that really gets your
heart pumping, 45 mins., moderate intensity, 5-6 days per week. If you are
exercising less than this, or having to eat snacks that off-set the calories
that you have burned in doing the exercise, you are probably not going to
lose much weight...just the way the human body works. No matter what the
slimming industry people sell you, you have move more as well as eat better
to lose weight. Think of all the workout videos with celebs in them! We know
they spend hours in the gym, if they didn't they'd be flogging couches and
lamps rather than workout techniques ;) .

You didn't put on the stone in one month, right? It may take longer to lose
it than it did to put it on, almost like it takes longer to pay off a credit
card than it did to run up the balance. It usually takes at least three
weeks of exercise and diet changes to see any difference at all in your
weight (whether you are exercising more or less) because of the time it
takes for your body's metabolism to adjust to the new programme (whether
that programme is being sedentary or being active). So good for you in
losing 1 lb in that first three weeks! The goal for healthy weight loss that
can be maintained is pretty low - 1 lb. a week will do you. Think of it: 1
lb of fat = 3500 calories. 3500 calories / 7 days is 500 calories. You have
to cut 500 cals. from your intake per day to lose 1 lb per week. The best
way that I have found to do this without undernourishing myself or feeling
deprived is to cut a snack or two and exercise to burn the bulk of the
calories I need to eliminate. If on one day you burn 300 cals. in an
aerobics class (or whatever) and you skip the biscuits at elevenses, you are
most of the way to that 500 cal. goal!

It takes time to build muscle as well, and the more muscle you build the
more efficient your system will be. The more efficient your system, the more
food you will need to maintain your weight. The more you exercise, the more
you can eat and still maintain your body in good shape. A lot of
professional athletes have totally rubbish diets because they can - even
though they look phenomenonal they might have poor cholesterol and blood
pressure in part because of their food habits.

My weight went up and down for the first 6 years that I had a pump because I
went through phases regarding how much exercise I did. In the summer of 1997
I exercised about 2 hours a day, 5 days a week and I lost a lot of weight.
However, when I went back to university in the autumn I could not keep up
that workout schedule and I put on weight slowly throughout the year and I
kept that weight on for a couple of years. When I moved to the UK in 2001 I
was wearing a 14P trouser from M&S. In the summer of 2002 I got serious
about exercising again with the goal of improving my A1C, which had gone up
to 7.8%. Within four months I had lost over a stone and my A1C was down to
6.9%. I continued to exercise, eventually reaching an A1C of 6.0% and a size
10P trouser. My weight has fluctuated by 5 lbs. up and down for the past few
years but I've not had to buy new clothing at any turn. My A1C went up to
7.1% once, otherwise I've kept it below 6.5 for the past 4 years. It is
possible to lose weight and maintain the loss, it just takes constant work.
When I get discouraged while training I say over and over to myself, like a
mantra, 'The more I do this, the easier it will get. If I stop now it will
always be hard'. The day that it IS easy to do is always a day for me to
celebrate. I can't afford a personal trainer so I have to be my own cheering
section. :p

You can do it, stick with it! Come cycling in Ireland in September!

Melissa
Type 1 13 years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 2 years 5 months
P.S. You are likely to get more benefit from exercise if you approach it
knowing that you will have to reduce your basal rate and by trial and error
figure out by how much you have to reduce it. There's no easy maths for it,
unfortunately.