From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted] On
Behalf Of J
Sent: 12 June 2006 00:57
To: email @ redacted
Subject: RE: [IPk] Pituitary and BG

On 11 Jun 2006 at 23:34, Jackie Jacombs wrote:

> Has Emily been tested for Addison's disease?  I dont know enough about
> what tests are required for this condition.

Hi Jackie, thanks for the links, there are some I haven't seen yet,
I'll have a read. It's secondary Addison's I suspect rather than
primary. Emily's hypothyroidism may be secondary (just going by the
thyroid blood test results) which means that the problem could stem
from the pituitary gland (or possibly the hypothalamus).

What I've learnt so far is that hormones released by the pituitary
gland control various other glands including the thyroid and
adrenals. The pituitary releases Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH)
which 'tells' the thyroid to release thyroxine. A drop in thyroxine
production caused by problems with the thyroid would cause the TSH to
increase which would then cause the thyroid to produce more thyroxine
until levels were back to normal. So the first sign of a problem
would be an increased TSH with normal thyroxine levels. Eventually
the thyroid cannot keep up and you would see low thyroxine levels
along with the high TSH.

In secondary hypothyroidism the TSH is reduced or not biologically
active. The TSH level will stay low or normal despite thyroxine
levels dropping. This is what seems to have happened to Emily and
myself. Emily's TSH was 1.64 (normal range 0.35-3.5) and her
Thyroxine (T4) was 7 (normal range 8-21). Her last T4 measurement
from a couple of years ago was 10. The consultant says that T4
usually only varies by +-1 so a drop of 3 is significant (my results
were almost identical).

Secondary Addison's is similar, just with different hormones which
seem to be harder to measure. Emily's consultant has offered to
arrange a Synacthen Test for Addison's and and a TRH test to look for
possible hypothalamic or pituitary hypothyroidism but, as you
probably remember, Emily doesn't like needles (!) so I'm looking for
more evidence either way to help us decide if the tests are really
necessary.

I get the impression that her consultant and GP think it's unlikely
to be hypopituitarism, mainly because it's so rare (especially as
it's both of us) and possibly because Emily's symptoms are relatively
mild (but it's got to start somewhere, hasn't it?). That's why I dug
out our old records and then noticed the big difference in basal
rates in the afternoon/evening. It happened fairly gradually and I've
been ill so probably not paying attention. I knew that it had dropped
but hadn't realised by how much, plus the increase in hypos despite
less insulin.

Thanks again for the links,
best wishes,
Jos