[IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V3 #510- To Ally

Hi Ally

I have had diabetes for 33yrs and have two children. I went onto the pump
 when I was 4mths pregnant with my second child. What part of the U.K do you
live
 in? I live in York and asked about pumps in my first pregnancy and was told
no  (in my ignorance I thought that was a good thing!) I found it difficult to
keep  my blood sugars low (although I did eventually achieve a hba1C of 5.9)
as I had  hyperemesis and spent a lot of time in 'hypo land' or being
rehydrated in  hospital.

When I was planning the next pregnancy, I tried again..to be told the
 hospital didn't do pumps at all! After a lot of nagging (from me) I persusaded
them
when I was 4 months pregnant. First I was told I could keep the pump only
whilst pregnant, and then only whilst breast feeding and finally I was told I
could keep it as I met the N.I.C.E criteria.

I found it much easier to control my bloodsugars with the pump, and whilst  I
still had hyperemesis it stopped me from being admitted many times as I
didn't  develop keatones like I did on MDI.

Feel free to e-mail me at email @ redacted (mailto:email @ redacted)  if
you want any further  information.

Best wishes

Kirsty