[IPk] RE: substances in insulin

Hi,

A few small items for you off the top of my head:

Apidra (insulin glulisine), the new rapid-acting insulin analogue from
Sanofi-Aventis, cannot be mixed with any insulins containing zinc or it will
act like Actrapid when injected. Thus Sanofi-Aventis is going to great
lengths to prevent people attempting to mix (in the same syringe) Apidra
with any insulins that contain zinc. Lantus contains zinc, by the way.

Lilly's recombinant DNA (rDNA) process involves E. coli bacteria. Active
bacteria are not in the insulin product, though! There's a special
non-disease strain of E. coli that is used in biotech products. Novo
Nordisk's rDNA process involves baker's yeast (S. cerevisiae).

A lot of the more exotic animal ingredients of insulins of yore don't apply
in rDNA production methods, but the steps of rDNA technology are rather
fascinating.
http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/dteam/2001-11/d_0d_7wn.htm

Of course all insulins on the market today contain preservatives to keep
them from going off and some people have reactions to certain preservatives.
Interestingly, I have run across a few journal articles attributing
irritation at the pump infusion site to an immune response to such
preservatives, but not the kind of response you might expect. In some
people, the preservatives cause the immune system not to kill bacteria
around the infusion site, allowing irritation and even infection to develop.
Yet another great reason to change our infusion sets on time!!!

Melissa
Type 1 13 years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 2 years 5 months