RE: [IPk] my diabetic son

HI Lisa

No, its not like longer- acting insulin in the body, which is injected
subcutaneously and contains substances to slow down the insulin action.  The
 insulin the body produces doesn't "hang around" it's released directly into the
blood stream.  Think of the body's own insulin as being like "short, very fast
acting insulin".  The action of NPH insulin  (one of the older longer acting
 insulins) is prolonged by the addition of protamine obtained from the "milt" or
semen of river trout.  NPH is found in Insulatard and Mixtards type insulins.
So the body's own insulin, when its produced, has an immediate effect.  In the
early stages of diabetes the pancreas may not produce enough insulin, or just
not quick enough.  This results in raised blood sugar levels immediately after
meals.  In some people, in the very early honeymoon stage, their blood glucose
may only be raised post meals and shortly afterwards return to normal levels.
 The pancreas can still produce enough insulin even when a high percentage of
the
beta cells are damaged.  Unfortunately sooner or later, as the destructive
process continues, the beta cells will no longer be able to make enough insulin
to cope and the blood sugars will become higher and higher.  It is possible,
especially with children that are developing diabetes, that an illness triggers
higher blood sugars than usual, illness, even mild colds can mean that the body
has a big increase in insulin needs.  So frequently children are diagnosed with
 diabetes after the onset of a illness. Once the illness is over then the body's
insulin needs would reduce and the body may even be able to still make enough
 insulin to prevent higher blood sugar levels for quite sometime. In the end the
 result is the same. The beta cells are destroyed but sometimes this process can
take place over years but usually the honeymoon period is around 6 months to a
 year. The older the child is at diagnosis the longer the honeymoon is likely to
be.

You may find these links helpful to understand how the body works when the
pancreas is working correctly

http://health.howstuffworks.com/diabetes1.htm

The Beta Cell and First-Phase Insulin Secretion
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/483307_3

Jackie Mum of Sasha

> hiya jackie,
> can u tell me more about delays in the first phase insulin response? is like
> where pools of long-acting insulin can gather then work at a l8r time?
>
> lisa x
>

> contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0623-1, 06/06/2006
Tested on: 08/06/2006 12:39:05