From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted] On
Behalf Of Diana Maynard
Sent: 07 June 2006 15:21
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IPk] Urine testing for kidney function

Hi Melissa
I completely agree (and did know all of what you've told me). However I
was diagnosed with kidney problems in Manchester where I did overnight
urine tests etc once I had 2 positive dipstick tests. I was also put on
Lisinopril for that reason. When I moved to Sheffield they reverted to
the dipstick tests and since they revealed nothing, they said my kidneys

were fine. I did query it last time I was there and was told that
everything was fine and not to worry.
Di

Melissa P. Ford wrote:

> Hi Di,
>
> The urine dipstick is the least specific test of kidney function. It
> is the cheapest and quickest, though! By the time you have protein in
> your urine there is considerable damage done to the kidneys.
> Nephrology researchers live in hope that new markers of kidney
> function may be discovered in the blood because changes to urine
> composition are more often mid-stage complications of kidney disease.
>
> The top clinical recommendation for early detection of
> microalbuminuria, which precedes overt proteinuria by a rather long
> lead-time, is a 24-hour urine collection for urinalysis in a
> laboratory. If your clinic has never ordered this for you and seems
> reluctant to do so, get a referral to a nephrologist. As you were
> diagnosed with kidney issues several years ago, it would not be out of

> order for you to have a 24-hour urine collection test once per year.
> For those with no signs of kidney trouble it can be done once every 2
> years, but once a year is not too often after several years (7+) of
> diagnosed diabetes.
>
> The single strongest predictor of mortality in type 1 diabetes is
> kidney function. The health of the eyes and the health of the kidneys
> are very closely related in many of us. I have heard some cutting edge

> doctors suggest that everyone who is diagnosed with retinopathy have a

> 24-hour urine collection test once yearly following the diagnosis of
> retinopathy.
>
> Hope this is helpful, though it's not happy news....
>
> Melissa
> Type 1 13 years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 2 years 5
months
> .
..