From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted] On
Behalf Of email @ redacted
Sent: 02 June 2006 20:23
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V3 #501- To Marion

Hi Marion

I'd like to say no to your question, but I think it's more than likely
that
there may be some stage/act of rebellion. I put it down to there  being
 transition of responsibility from the parent to the child with regards
taking
responsibility over their own health. From the age of 6yrs old I gave
my own
insulin (under supervision) and took my blood sugars myself (age 7) but
it
was my parents who helped me with dosage and working out CHO values of
meals
 etc. I was on MDI regime as a teenager and I would sometimes not take
my
insulin
 (if it seemed inconvenient!) or not alert people when I was going hypo-

 because I didn't want to draw attention to myself. I went on to have
bulimia
for
some  years (not any more!!). But that doesn't mean any of this will
happen to
Alex..a  lot of my 'rebellion' was probably just down to my personality
type.
Also if  Alex is on a pump, I imagine it will be a lot easier for her to
have
her insulin  whenever she needs it without drawing attention to herself.

Any tips? Perhaps just being aware that even if your daughter is aware
of
all the 'facts', the need to be the same as her friends may be very
strong in
her teens. Sometimes its hard to look ahead to the future (health wise)
as a
child..and talking to other young diabetics may be of a help too.

Kirsty
T1 33yrs (pumping 3.5yrs)
..