Re: [IPk] Atorvastatin - Long Term Use

Hi,

Further to my rant, here is what the Heart Protection Study had to say about
simvastatin:

"In younger patients with type 1 diabetes, the decision [whether to
prescribe statins] would depend on the duration of diabetes, whether they
had any other evidence of vascular disease, such as microalbuminuria, and/or
an assessment of cardiovascular risk...If any of these risk factors were
present, statin therapy should be considered."
Source: http://www.theheart.org/viewArticle.do?primaryKey=250689

Is that or is that not what I was just talking about?? Of course some type
1s need a statin, but the Heart Protection Study was not *about* type 1s and
the type 1s who were included in the HPS had CV risk assessments similar to
those of the type 2s in the study. Most of us would have a longer list of
the ways in which our health is different from type 2s, am I right?

Melissa
Type 1 13 years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 2 years 5 months