RE: [IPk] (no subject)

Hi Janet

Glarine (Lantus) was on the market for several years before Novodisk developed
 and marketed Levemir. That is probably the reason why they used it. The clinic
 we go to where Sasha pumps offered to put us onto Lantus again while waiting
for
a pump.  We declined because we had more problems on Lantus than when using
twice daily NPH.  We asked to try Levemir which was available by then but the
 Gloucester clinic didn't have any experience and said no. However they now have
many children using Levemir.  As far as I know there is no reason why a five
year old couldn't try Levemir.  Made drugs and some of the insulins were not
"licensed" for use on children under a certain age.  This is not the same as
saying that a drug or insulin cannot be used.  Many insulins have been used for
children "off licence" or "off label".  Off label prescribing is quite common
for children, because most drugs are developed only on the information based on
trials with adults.

See here for information on Off Label prescribing
http://adc.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/90/suppl_1/i17

Jackie mum of Sasha age 12

> My 5 year old daughter Rachel was on glargine prior to pumping. Iwas just
>  wondering why she didnt try levamir, as the glargine didnt work.Does
> anyone no
> if levamir may be suitable for a five year old. Janet mum of  Rachel
> .

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0622-4, 02/06/2006
Tested on: 03/06/2006 17:42:48