From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted] On
Behalf Of email @ redacted
Sent: 29 May 2006 20:00
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IPk] Diaport troubles

Hi everyone

Last Friday I had another laparoscopy to salvage my non-functioning
Diaport.

 At the last regular revision, the inner bit wouldn't go through
properly, and
after about an hour of poking around with various guide wires, it
eventually
went in. The surgeon said he thought it wouldn't function very well but
to give
it a go and let him know. My BGs climbed steadily for the rest of the
day, and I
needed to inject to bring down the levels. Then overnight, if I hadn't
woken up
to test every two hours, I would have had a massive hypo, as I was
treating 3's
every two hours. So I switched back to subcut until they could admit me.

 They found that the tip was embedded in the omentum, again, so freed it
up and
moved the end. The op lasted for 2 and a half hours, and I have four
extra
wounds/scars on my belly.

 Post op my BGs were initially good but crept up overnight and the next
morning,
not responding to a 250% basal rate nor correction boluses. I had to
inject
again. After that, they started coming down, and I'm now getting single
figures
on 200%, which is 120% of my usual Diaport rate.

 This was a horrible time, but I have to persist with the Diaport
because my
subcut absorption is still unpredictable (I've just had to try it again
for 3
weeks!).

Any words of encouragement or sympathy would be gratefully received!

Best wishes

Lesley
..