Re: [IPk] Yesterdays Hypo

Jackie..
Sorry to hear about the hypo. I've had a few bad ones in my time, including
one screaming just after I first got married. Hubby couldn't calm me and the
lucozade couldn't work fast enough. All I can remember is that I did not
 recognise him at all. I felt absolutely terrified and thought there was a
strange
 person trying to attack me. He was trying to get me to drink/take
hypostop/hi-cal
but everytime he come near me it set me off. In the end, after I'd calmed
 down and realised what had happened, someone (a neighbour) had called the
police
as they obviously thought I was being murdered! They came and asked me a
barrage of questions then went away sort of satisfied with the explanation. It
 shook me up a lot. I was more embarrassed than anything. Thankfully this type
of
hypo never happened again.
I test regularly and can only say that before/during/after exercise then
 test, test, test. BG's can fluctuate greatly during this time. I'd err on the
high
side. I understand that some people don't like lucozade! I tend to use it a
lot, but other things that work well are the hypostop gels (available in
 different flavours I think). A friend uses these for her young son who won't
drink
fizzy drinks. (But I hate them)! They are available on prescription or in the
sports/medicines sections of supermarkets. There is also something called
 hi-cal (a long time since I've seen this but it used to be available in
chemists
and on prescription). Lucozade sport isn't so good as it has a much lower carb
value.
Glucagon makes me throw up something awful (a side effect that isn't widely
 published but your doc/pharmacist will tell you if you ask) and I actually feel
really ill for the day after. But this of course isn't helped by the after
effects of a bad hypo. Eating is sooo difficult when you feel like this.
Hope things improve.
Best wishes
Helen