Re: SV: [IPk] fast-acting insulins

Hi Ishtar  and Sarah,

Don't you mean Humalin (like Insulatard, peaking in around 8 - 14
hours), not Humalog (peaking in around 2 hours)?

I don't think there is anything faster than Humalog, so all you can do
is the things which speed up absorption: inject into the stomach,
avoiding any possible area of scarring (I use the sides of  my stomach
which are too thin to take a pump set).

Do you also have a slow digestion (i.e. does Humalog normally cover your
food so you have a nice flat line)?  If it doesn't, and you normally
digest food more quickly than Humalog can cope with, and so have to
inject before eating to get a flat line, or see a peak after eating (if
you avoid a hypo before the Humalog has all been used), then you could
always try eating a snack after you see the start of the descent, which
would counter the effect of the additional insulin taken on the hour.

I'm like you: Humalog is too slow for me - or rather, it is too slow if
I eat healthy food - if have a lot of fat or protein in a meal, it's

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 2+)

In message <000001c33ee5$9dda53f0$email @ redacted>, Ishtar Polite
Siljemark <email @ redacted> writes
>"Does anyone have any experience of changing fast-acting insulins?
>Thanks, Sarah IDDM 7yrs, Minimed pumper 6months"
>A year ago or so I switched from Humalog to Insulatard. I noticed no
>Ishtar IDDM 25+, MM508 4 months, MM Paradigm 3 weeks.

Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)