Re: [IPk] adrenalin and high BGs

>I'm having a real problem with rocketing BGs when playing in softball
>I play regularly for a softball team and we have matches most Sundays
>two 2-hour matches). When we're practising, my BG drops if I don't have extra
>carbs or lower my basal, as you'd expect. But whenever I play in a match,
>even if I'm totally calm and not at all nervous, my BG shoots through the
>roof by the end of the first game, even if it was on the low side to start
>with and I take no extra carbs or anything. If I then take insulin to bring
>it down, by the end of the 2nd game it's usually dropped like a stone.

Di - I can offer no solutions - only sympathy! You will know I'm sure I
earn some of my income as an oratorio soloist. Standing up in front of a
few thousand people and singing a big aria is fairly high pressure stuff,
and the adrenalin certainly flows. Checking my BG at the front of the stage
is not always practical, and having a "good" BG is essential to singing
well: the strength of my voice is one of the first things to go if I'm
mildly hypo, and a high BG makes my throat dry. I find that a square meal
and normal insulin sets me up best for a decent concert (and a square meal
is sometimes quite hard to come by at 6.30pm on a Saturday in Oldham!). My
general opinion of adrenalin is that it does funny things to my BG -
sometimes up, sometimes down. I can't always predict. The rush of adrenalin
is essential to a good performance - in sports, the arts, company
presentations, whatever - but I've found that as the years have gone by it
no longer causes my pulse to race and my throat to dry, as it may have done
in the early days.

Graham - I did a teacher training course back in err... 1988, and during
the 2nd term we were in school teaching almost 100% of the time, and my BG
sat steadily at around 17 mmol/L most of the time. No extra shots of
insulin seemed to lower my BG at all, and one wasn't encouraged to fiddle
with insulin doses in those days... I found the whole teaching experience
miserably high pressure, and in fact didn't finish the course (I become a
computer systems manager instead - and later gave that up to go back to
college and train as a singer).

Enough wittering...

mailto:email @ redacted