From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]On
Behalf Of email @ redacted
Sent: 20 June 2003 22:18
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IPk] adrenalin and high BGs

email @ redacted writes:

> so I'm sure it's the adrenalin, even if I
> don't feel stressed at all.
Hi Di,

I agree, you're having an adrenaline rush!  You may not "feel" stressed, and
you may be enjoying yourself thoroughly, but you surely are (anticipation,
 competition, excitement, fear perhaps sometimes, etc) and this will differ
practice games which you and your body see as "normal activity".  (Also
 consider "white coat hypertension" analogy - you may feel calm and happy
your bp
is up.)  I used to have similar experiences when doing competition swimming,
not during practice, and still have on "white coat" days (despite being
On workdays, even when I really don't feel stressed (yes, they do happen
sometimes) I still need double the insulin basals than on non-work days.  On
stressful workdays I need a lot more! :)

If my bg is high/highish before exercise or a "stressful" activity I give
insulin.  Hasn't failed me yet - though I _do_ take your point about scuba
 diving...:) You have to take the plunge. Sorry in view of previous
comment -
it was deliberate..:)

IDDM 30+ years, 508 2+ years