RE: [IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V2 #431 - high BG's

Hi Abigail.

I'm Type 2 going on weird.

Just recalled I had another post from another list that explained this:

>Ketones are often welcome in a type 2.  It shows that you are burning fats.
>Since most type 2s are overweight, it *can* be a good thing.  The thing to
>watch for is high bg (not enuf insulin) at the same time.  There is a huge
>difference between keytones (ketosis) in the urine and ketoacidosis (thats
>the dangerous stuff) which is mostly a concern for type 1s.  Insulin is the
>key.  Type 1s basically don't have any.
>Someone, (like Gretchen) is going to explain the difference better and more
>technically.  Fats are actually the preferred cell fuel - it is sort of
>like the premium gas over the cheap stuff (carbs) ;)  Such is what I've
>heard anyway.  Later...Barb

Showing keytones can be benign or dangerous... it depends on a number
of other factors.

Under everyday conditions, the carbohydrates you eat are converted to
glucose, which is the body's primary source of energy. Whenever your
intake of carbohydrates is limited to a certain range, for a long
enough period of time, you'll reach a point where your body draws on
its alternate energy system, fat stores, for fuel.

This condition called benign dietary ketosis (BDK), means your body
burns fat and turns it into a source of fuel called ketones. Ketones
are produced whenever body fat is burned. When you burn a larger
amount of fat than is immediately needed for energy, the excess
ketones are discarded in the urine.

BDK is misunderstood because it is often confused with diabetic
ketoacidosis (DKA), which is a life-threatening condition mostly
associated with uncontrolled diabetes.   In the uncontrolled,
diabetic, the absence of insulin leads to a toxic build-up of blood
glucose and an extreme break-down of fat and muscle tissue.

It is not merely the presence of ketones that is the problem, but WHY
the ketones are present.  In an uncontrolled diabetic in DKA they are
caused by a series of events that signal a big problem.  A person in
BDK doesn't have the other events occuring, (high BGs etc.).

Rhoda Martin