Re: [IPk] adrenalin and high BGs

> I'm having a real problem with rocketing BGs when playing in
> softball matches. I play regularly for a softball team and we have
> matches most Sundays (usually two 2-hour matches). When we're
> practising, my BG drops if I don't have extra carbs or lower my
> basal, as you'd expect. But whenever I play in a match, even if I'm
> totally calm and not at all nervous, my BG shoots through the roof
> by the end of the first game, even if it was on the low side to
> start with and I take no extra carbs or anything. If I then take
> insulin to bring it down, by the end of the 2nd game it's usually
> dropped like a stone.
> In general, it's less strenuous in an actual match than in a
> practice, but there's still a fair bit of exercise (depending how
> many home runs I hit :-)) and I'm terrified to actually take insulin
> at the start of the game when my Bg is lowish or normal, in case it
> drops me like a stone. Testing halfway through doesn't help - either
> my Bg has already rocketed, or it's not moved at all. Given the
> amount that it shoots up (last week I was 3.5 at 10.30, 5.0 when we
> started playing at 11am, and 29.1 by 12.30) I'm not convinced that
> raising my basal would help. I get the same thing - but to a
> slightly lesser extent - at dance competitions, so I'm sure it's the
> adrenalin, even if I don't feel stressed at all.
> Any suggestions? keep taking small boluses and keep the lucozade
> handy? Di

Suggestion. Have a small carb snack like half a power bar or 10 grams
of cheez-its + the matching insulin 15 - 30 minutes before the game.
This will insure that you have adequate free insulin in your blood
stream and may help stabilize your bg's.  heh... heh.... or you can
be brave and take a bolus before the game. Lily gets high when she
goes SCUBA diving and does a one unit bolus before hitting the water.
Freaks me out, but it seems to work.