From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]On
Behalf Of uzma sadiq
Sent: 13 June 2003 20:36
To: email @ redacted
Subject: RE: [IPk] musing on diet [long] ,varying night time basals

dear elizabeth,
I think my 6 yr old son  has similar changing basal insulin needs after
midnight.its interesting that you have correlated this to your total daily
insulin.ive been assuming it to be related to the time he last eats.
generally if he doesnt eat after 6pm his basal requirements are 0.2U up to2
am and then he needs onlt 0.1U up to breakfast.if he last eats before 9pm
then he needs 0.4U up to midnight,then0.3 up to 3 am and then 0.1U. If he
ever eats later than that then the 0.4 has to continue to 3am.
this is something that im not 100% about, but it seems to be, kind of
,working  most of the time just recently. i do check his sugars in the night
because im nervous of these high basals.
also just as you said daytime basals never seem to change.
i was beginning to think this was unique to his age group.
i wonder if anyone else has other strategies for dealing with this.
all the best,