[IPk] one for the staticticians (was musing on diet)

Hi Nanette,

I have a 'normal' basal of 14.4 units (drops to 11.2 for mild exercise),
and bolus between 10 and 20 units a day.  'Sensitivity' is perhaps a
better word than 'resistance' when it isn't always there all the time,
but only at higher levels.

I think I'm like this too, but too occupied to do the maths!   One thing
I've noticed about my bg results is that rather than having a normal
distribution curve (which is what I'd expect, given that I aim for a bg
of between 5 and 7.5 at all times, and correct to 5), I have a bimodal
distribution, or rather one with a main and a subsidiary mode.  It looks
as if the 'main' mode is a normal distribution with 'perfect' bgs of 5
to 7.5, and then there's a subsidary mode with a distribution of 11 to
13.5.  This doesn't reflect 'pre meal' and 'post meal' values, as
plotting either group gives the same main/subsidiary modes (I think - I
didn't plot a lot of them!

I get a snazzy stats. package for my thesis very soon, and will look
more carefully at the difference between results in the subsidiary mode
- those are the ones I want to reduce, not the ones in the main mode!

Best wishes,

(about to depart for the joys of fieldwork in Norfolk: must remember to
cut down my basals)

In message <email @ redacted>, Nanette
Chana Freedman <email @ redacted> writes
>It is clear that my insulin sensitivity (or resistance, to look at the
>other side of the coin - endocrinologist said that anyone who uses such
>small amounts of insulin should talk in terms of sensitivity not
>resistance) is very sensitive to blood glucose levels. And I now tend
>to believe that this is a major factor causing the difficulties I have
>experienced in 5 and a half years of diabetes in achieving reasonable
>control, since both basal requirements and bolus for food essentially
>require a non-linear sliding scale according to blood glucose at the
>time, in my case.

Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)