[IPk] Re: flying again

> I have heard (probably from somebody on this list!)
> that "official" letters are not taken that seriously,
> being easy to forge. What I do is carry my 3ml Humalog
> bottle in its box with the prescription sticker on. I
> reckon this is probably as good a proof that you can
> get of being diabetic.
> I have flown regularly in the last couple of years,
> including journeys within the US, and not had any
> problems. My pump has never set off any alarms and
> have not had difficulty with security when they search
> my hand luggage.
> Regarding sharp disposal, I would tend to put them in
> an empty water or shampoo bottle and then straight in
> the hotel bin. If I don't have a container handy then
> I will carry them around in my Humalog box until I get
> one.
> Hope this helps (though I know that people have had
> very different experiences with airports!)
thanks so much all the people who answered. I always carry insulin in
its original box, but in this country the reality is that we never get
printed pharmacy labels - indeed I have never had a pharmacy label at
all - just the medication or whatever, and the pharmacist writes the
dosage by hand on the package, unless this is a repeat prescription you
have had umpteen times before (like my insulin etc) in which case they
don't write anything.
Also I have another problem - if you travel in the US and they can see
that your series of flights originated in the Middle East, they
automatically single you out for extra checks of your hand baggage - so
whether or not I tell them about diabetes and needles, my hand baggage
will be searched, and questions will be asked about the contents.
When I travelled last summer and the year before they immediately
accepted my explanation that I am diabetic when they looked at my
supplies, though on one occasion, they did ask to look at the letter,
(twice they looked at the pump, in one case were both aghast and
respectful when I said no, I did not remove it even when I go to sleep,
in the other case, the security woman was diabetic, considering a pump,
and nearly made me miss my flight answering her 101 questions about the
pump) but I wondered if I was just lucky. Has anyone ever had any
security personnel ask to look at their labelled bottle of insulin? is
it worth my while taking a couple of hours out of my busy preparations
for the trip and going to trouble a very nice but overworked pharmacist
and seeing if I could persuade him to write out some sort of formal
label with some sort of official pharmacy stamp for the bottle of
insulin I got there last week??
Sounds like good advice about the sharps - at home I don't have any
problem disposing of them - store them at home in the little containers
from the glucometer sticks, and just bring them in to the hospital
where I work and dump them in the sharps containers.