Re: [IPk] flying and disconnecting

Since Sept. 11, 2001, the big reason for a US security screener to ask me to
take off the pump would be to see if it's a bomb, as far as I can think.
Fortunately, Gran Canaria and many other holiday destinations haven't seen
domestic air terrorism that cost a couple thousand citizens' lives in the
past couple of years and have had no cause to be as strict as the US has
become about electronic devices, vials, and syringes in airports and on
planes. Having lost a first cousin in the World Trade Center attack, I see
the US Government's point in trying to prevent domestic terrorism. Yet I
refuse to allow my personal freedoms to be curtailed for the sake of what is
ultimately a false sense of national security. I am not willing to see my
pump carted off and possibly dismantled if I were to have the world's worst
luck to encounter the most ignorant security people ever to think they knew
what they were doing--that's why I don't take it off at airports. I do have
an indication on my Medic-Alert bracelet that I use an insulin infusion pump
and I have my insulin in the labelled cardboard cartons when I travel, which
should help if I am someday thought to be suspicious.

So far in my travels I have been all right saying firmly, 'Medical
equipment', showing my infusion site, and saying, 'No, I can't take it off,'
when I've encountered a security screener who hasn't seen one. Certainly, by
now many security people HAVE seen a pump before, but there are still some
who haven't and I seem to encounter some of them on every trip I take. I
still think it's better to be safe than sorry overall. As I said this
morning: 'just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get

IDDM 10 years; MiniMed pumper 7 years