Re: [IPk] flying and disconnecting

Hi Abi,

Yup, plenty of (most?) people would probably not know what to do with a pump
if they found one lying around somewhere, and I am sure that more
people--esp. people with whom I would be unable to communicate because I am
not a stellar linguist--would have a hard time understanding why I would be
enraged if it were whisked away from me, even if just for inspection. I can
imagine getting it back to find that all the basal rates had been messed
with and the reservoir tampered with. Or perhaps the batteries would be
removed, or something else not catastrophic but well inconvenient could take

I think we need only think about the number of times we've been asked, 'So
do you have to sleep with that thing on too?' to realise how little the
general public can intuit about pump therapy. The adjectives 'continuous'
and 'subcutaneous' may need to be emphasised...!

IDDM 10 years; MiniMed pumper 7 years