Re: [IPk] Lazer Treatment

In message <email @ redacted>,
email @ redacted writes
> I know there are a few of you out there who have had lazer treatment for
>retinopathy. Now my turn has come. I had it about 10 years ago and that wasn't
>to bad. however, I seem to recall someone saying something about injections
 >around the eyes? What is the proceedure these days? I had an angigram on my
>in November and things were fine. I had another in March and my blood vessels
>across my pupils etc were leaking quite badly in both eyes. I have my first
>session on Thursday and I'm ashamed to admit I'm stressing over it....
Hi Julian,

You can probably get to the conclusions of our debates in the archives.
I think (to summarise), that both lying-down and sitting-down versions
are used, both with or without painkilling injections, lying down
sometimes with eye-immobilizing injections.

Lazer without injections is felt to be between (depending on person)
virtually painless to quite painful, and the injections (again depending
on person), from painless to more painful than the lazer (but remember
that for some, lazer is virtually painless).

_After_ treatment there is (for some) some feeling of bruising (like
you've been punched hard, a day or so back).

Also the eye is extremely light-sensitive: put on sunglassses, and keep
your eyes as shut as possible.

It is quite stressfull/wearying, as you have to keep alert (if you don't
have the muscle injection), in which case a doctor pushes your eyeball
for you), and you have to keep looking into the flashes (rather like a
camera flash going off in your face - but happens again and again and

Hope all goes well,

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 2+, a _lot_ of laser, all nearly 5 years ago now ....no
deterioration since)

Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)