[IPk] Re: Type 2 and obesity

> In the US it used to be thought that African-Americans, Hispanic
> Americans,
> and others of non-white racial background were at greater risk for
> type 2
> because of purely genetic factors. However, the increasing incidence
> of MODY
> (maturity-onset diabetes of the young, a term now going out of use
> because
> type 2 is getting common enough among young people that its
> 'unusualness' is
> decreasing) among black teenagers sparked some more research.

I appreciate your fund of wisdom and experience much of the time, but I
think there is an error here. To the best of my knowledge, the term
MODY is used for people who develop 'diabetes of the young' i.e. type 1
diabetes at a more than usually mature age, not for people who develop
type 2 at an unusually (now less unusually, as you point out) age.