Re: [IPk] How Stupid can you get???

I perfer to use 'low carb' to mean 'a low proportion of calories from
carboydrate' rather than 'low in absolute cho'.  After all, 10g CHO
taken in the form of tomatoes (a high carb food) is 10g cho, just as 10g
cho taking in the form of cheesy garlic bread is 10g cho - it's better
to describe tomatoes as being 'water rich'.

Perhaps we can use the terms 'rich' and 'poor' to indicate absolute
levels in foods (a measurement of very little value - what matters is
the calculated amount - be it 10g eaten in a LOT of tomatoes or in a
small piece of cheesy garlic bread) and the relative source of calories
in the food.

For example, take one meal that has 100g weight, and 50g CHO, and take
another which has 200g weight and 50g CHO - you'ld say that the second
one contained food that was 'low' in carbs - I wouldn't - I'd point out
that they were the same meal, but the second one has 100g glass water
with it!  These two meals, because they have the same g CHO, and the
same proportion of calories from CHO are going to have exactly the same
effect on most people's blood glucose levels - the water doesn't matter
at all.

Most people here are not trying to eat 'low' absolute amounts of CHO. We
don't have to choose between tomatoes and treacle toffee on the grounds
that one has more or less CHO than the other.  We can even eat both!  We
simply inject for what we eat. (Those of us who are trying to eat low
calorie have a different choice to make, of course).  Some people are
trying to limit the total CHO in a meal, but even for them, it doesn't
matter whether they eat a steak and green salad and toffee (total 30g
CHO) or the same cho and calories as steak and a mixed salad with an
incredibly large amount of tomatoes.

That's why I use 'low' to mean 'low proportion of calories from', and
think that we should stop using 'low' to mean 'a small number of grammes
carbohydrate in a normal portion'.

Best wishes to all,

dm 30+, 508 1+, really likes tomatoes!

In message <001c01c22021$0e8fa620$email @ redacted>, Diana Maynard
<email @ redacted> writes
>Hi Pat
>> A food which is low in carbohydrate is high in fat and protein.
>I have to disagree here - this isn't necessarily true at all! Though it's
>often the case. For example, lots of salad vegetables are low in fat,
>protein and carbs. And there are lots of low carb low fat high protein foods
>(lean meat, tofu, very low fat cheese, fromage frais, etc. etc.)
>You knew that, I'm sure, and I know what you meant - that often when you eat
>low carb meals they contain a lot of protein and/or fat - but I thought I'd
>better point it out in case anyone was confused by this.
>I agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your post though!

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)