Re: [IPk] My daughter too embarrassed to tell teacher

>Hi Pat
>Thanks for the information on helping Danielle in her class room.  I might
>give her something in her pocket which she can only eat if she is feeling
>low.  The thing is, she is going to have to be so honest with me and only eat
>it in an emergency.  I will tell the teacher that she is embarrassed to say
>anything and that if she sees her eating something out of her pocket, not to
>mention it.
Hi Barbara,

Why anyone would eat glucose tablets for pleasure is beyond me, but
suppose she does .... when she's on the pump this won't be a problem.

Why should you tell the teacher that the rules have changed because your
daughter is embarrassed - won't that embarras her still further?  Why
not tell the teacher that you think your daughter is now old enough to
respond herself to her own hypos, and if she notices Danielle eating,
the teacher should not call upon her to answer a question, etc. for 15
mins, but keep a discrete eye on her, and if she appears to be acting
'drunk' ten minutes or so after eating, to ask Danielle to accompany her
out of the room to somewhere private where they can make a blood glucose

But most children know very well how to eat without the teacher
noticing.  Glucose tablets are so much easier than crisps!

Best wishes

dm 30+, 508 1+, so pleased she's grown up - diabetes isn't a good mix
with childhood!
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)