Re: [IPk] How Stupid can you get???

In message <email @ redacted>, Karen
Hanna Kruzycka <email @ redacted> writes
>I can't seem to get my head around this. Surely if burgers are low in carbs
>that wouldn't have an effect on the rate at which the 90g is processed?
>Unless you mean that the 90g must be from the bap & fries - are these foods
>known to make blood sugar rise slowly?

A food which is low in carbohydrate is high in fat and protein. 'Low'
means 'low as a proportion of total calories'.  (At least in this case -
90g CHO is a good meal's worth of CHO!).

The problem isn't the wheat in the bap and the potatoes in the fries (or
the tomatoes and sugar in the sauce).  The problem is the cooking fat,
the meat, the cheese and so on, which far outweigh the carbs.

Protein does (for many people) eventually show up in blood glucose, and
fat slows down the carbohydrate absorption.  Some people are more
affected by this than others.  For example, take a dish of pasta with a
sauce (60g CHO, 60% calories from CHO) and add to it a huge amount of
cheese, arriving at a dish still with 60g CHO, but only 40% of calories
from CHO.  For some people, the two dishes give them exactly the same
blood glucose levels over time.  But many find that the one with the
cheese will peak later, and longer.

It may be that you're one of those people who can take the cheese or
leave it without any effect.  Or it may be that you 'normally' eat a low
carbohydrate diet - and with you, it's the odd meal which is high in
carbohydrate which gives you the odd results. Or you may have already
figured this out for yourself and 'normally' inject after a meal, but
know if you eat certain foods, you have to inject before.

There is nothing 'wrong' with eating low carbohydrate foods (whether
there's something wrong with the particular brand of fast food mentioned
is another matter!).  Some of us find that the absolute amount of CHO we
can eat at one sitting is limited (some find that more than 30g at a go
is too much, I find that 100g is my limit) and so go for low
carbohydrate foods.  Others find that the later/larger activity curve
from low carbohydrate meals matches our insulin activity curves better
(before getting a pump, pringles, raw mange-tout peas and a _lot_ of
sour cream was my 'best' lunch food - everything else came to quick,
went to soon). And some of us just _like_ foods with low CHO!  All good
reasons for eating it!

Best wishes,

dm 30+, 508 1+, stupid a lot of the time
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)